The steps involved in producing stirrup in column
- Concrete Cost Estimator
- Concrete Continuous Footing
- Landscape Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Concrete and steel cost estimation
- Construction Cost Estimate Breakdown
- Construction Estimating Worksheet
- Home Construction Cost Estimate
- Estimate Pricing Sheet
- Sheet for General Contractor
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Labor Materials Cost Estimator
- Masonry Estimating Sheet
- Sheet for Building Contractor
- Construction Schedule Bar chart
- General Cost Estimator Sheet
- General Construction Estimate
- Building and Road Estimating Sheet
- Detailed expense estimates
- Door and Window Takeoff Sheet
- General Construction Cost Estimating Sheet
There are two types of bars in a RCC column i.e. longitudinal bar and horizontal bar.
In horizontal bar, the stirrups and ties are utilized in column. Stirrup is also known as ring, shear reinforcement, etc.
To form stirrup for column, it is necessary to work out the cutting length of bar for stirrup as well as calculate the number of stirrups and the size of stirrup.
It can be performed in following 4 easy steps.
1. Find out the size of stirrup
2. Compute the cutting bar length for stirrup
3. Compute the number of stirrups
4. Bending the bar in stirrup’s shape
1. Find out the Size of Stirrup
Suppose, the column size is 20″ x 40″. The concrete clear cover for reinforcement of column is taken as 1½”.
The length of stirrup should be 40″-2×1½”=37″ and width 20″-2×1½”=17″.
Therefore, the size of the stirrup is 37″x17″.
Work out Cutting-Bar-Length for Stirrup
Prior to cut the bar, work out the cutting bar length for the stirrup.
There exist actual bar length and cutting bar length.
The actual bar length of stirrup is calculated as follow :-
2 x length + 2 x width + 2 x hook’s length
= 2 x 37″ + 2 x 17″ + 2 x 3″
= 114″or 9.5′.
Hook length is computed with the formula like 6db (diameter of bar).
Therefore, the hook length for 10mmø bar is provided as follow :-
6 x 10 = 60 mm.
But, the length of hook should not be under 75mm (as per code).
Therefore, the hook length for the stirrup is 3″ (75mm = 3″).
The actual bar length of the stirrup is 9.5′. But, the cutting bar length should be under the actual bar length.
Assume, the stirrup contains three 90° bend and two 135° hook.
For every bend, the length of bar will be decreased.
Given below, a chart for reduced length for a 90° bend for various diameters of bars.
10 mmø bar – 1″
12 mmø bar – 1¼”
16 mmø bar – 1½”
As 10 mmø bar is applied here for the stirrup, so the cutting bar length should be,
9.5′ – 3 x 1″ (bend deduction is not taken for 135° bend).
Therefore, it is required to cut 9′-2″ length of 10mmø bar.
It signifies, cutting bar length for the stirrup is 9′-2″.
Compute the Number of Stirrups
Assume, there exist two types of spacing for stirrups. One is taken as S1 and another is S2. S1 is placed 4″ c/c and S2 is placed 8″ c/c.
S1 is arranged in the bottom ¼th section and top ¼th section of clear column’s length. S2 is arranged in the middle half portion of clear column’s length.
Clear column’s length stands for the height of column among the top of floor to bottom of beam.
There should be 2 numbers of stirrup for column into beam-column joint.
The numbers of stirrups for column will be computed as follow :-
The floor height is 10′.
Beam height is 2′
Clear height of column is,
= floor height – beam height
= 10′– 2′
Number of stirrups should be,
= 4’/4″ + 4’/8″ + 2 + 1 (1 bar is included for obtaining the exact number of stirrups.)
4. Bending the Bar in Stirrup’s Shape
To deal with vast quantity of stirrups in a large project, the stirrup making machine can be used.
But, the stirrups can be formed manually with a stand and a handle.
Just set the rod in the stand and curve the rod with the handle. Go through trial and error method to obtain the desired size of stirrup. Create the hook angle at 135°.
- Application of concrete calculator
- Roofing Calculator can streamline the roof estimating process
- House construction cost calculator
- Engineering column design excel spreadsheet
- Material Estimating Sheet with Excel
- Materials List and Cost Estimate Worksheet
- Concrete Slab Estimating Calculator Sheet
- Common types of foundations for buildings
- Online calculation of construction materials
- Estimating with Excel for the Small Contractor
- Concrete Beam Design Spreadsheet
- Virtual Construction Management app for construction
- Autodesk’s Project Skyscraper
- Reed Construction’s Reed Insight
- Manage your construction project documentation
- Costimator, the popular cost estimating software
- On Center Software for construction professionals
- Free Construction Estimating Software
- Plumbing Calc Pro
- Cost Estimate Worksheet
- HVAC Piping Quantity Takeoff Worksheet
- Construction Estimating Software Sheet
- Estimate Cost Templates
- Construction Punch List
- Construction cost estimating template consisting estimating basic
- Gantt Chart Template for Excel
- Download Civil Engineering Spreadsheets with Verification
- The Building Advisor Estimating and Budgeting Worksheet
- Spreadsheet for design of concrete bridge
- Construction Estimating Software Free