Different types Movable Bridges and their benefits
- Concrete Cost Estimator
- Concrete Continuous Footing
- Landscape Bidding and Estimating
- Construction Cost Estimating
- Concrete and steel cost estimation
- Construction Cost Estimate Breakdown
- Construction Estimating Worksheet
- Home Construction Cost Estimate
- Estimate Pricing Sheet
- Sheet for General Contractor
- Construction Cost Estimate
- Labor Materials Cost Estimator
- Masonry Estimating Sheet
- Sheet for Building Contractor
- Construction Schedule Bar chart
- General Cost Estimator Sheet
- General Construction Estimate
- Building and Road Estimating Sheet
- Detailed expense estimates
- Door and Window Takeoff Sheet
- General Construction Cost Estimating Sheet
Movable bridges are useful since these can alter their location as well as the shapes with the purpose of making the passage for vessels and boats in the waterway.
The construction cost is low for this type of bridge as no high piers and long approaches are required for construction. This type of bridge is specifically constructed for river traffic.
These movable bridges can be easily repaired with lighter materials and their gears can be substituted with hydraulics.
Categories of Movable Bridges: Given below, the detail lists of most common types of movable bridges as well as special movable bridges.
• Bascule bridge
• Swing bridge
• Vertical lifting bridge
• Special types of movable bridge
Bascule Bridge: Bascule Bridge is secured and supported on an axis that is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of bridge (affixed like a hinge).
This Bridge is also known as drawbridge. The horizontal axis on which the bridge is hinged is situated at the center of gravity with the intention that a balance is produced among the weights of the bridge on either sides.
Two leading types of bascule bridges are found which range from single leaf bascule and double leaf Bascule Bridge. Besides, there also exist triple and quadruple bascule bridges but they are seldom utilized based on the situation. ‘Leaf” is the vital segment of the bridge that pivots relating to the horizontal axis and opens the water traffic.
This type of movable bridge provide the following benefits :-
• It’s structural strength is good
• Construction and operations are cost-effective
Vertical Lifting Bridge: This type is mostly constructed and recognized. It comprises of a span with a common type of truss that is supported with the towers at the end of span. Usually, the weight of this span is counterbalanced. The waterway is uncovered by facilitating the span moving in the vertical direction.
If the machinery liable for the up and down movement of the span is settled on the span itself, then it’s known as span drive vertical lift bridge. But if that machinery is settled on the towers, then it is known as tower drive vertical lift bridge.
These bridges have considerably good stability and as a result they are suitable for locations where long spans are necessary.
Double vertical Lifting Bridge
Swing Bridge: This type of bridge is settled on the horizontal plane that revolves on vertical axis with the purpose of providing passage for the water traffic. A pivotal pier belongs to a normal pier on which a bearing is set up and the horizontal plane stands on this pivotal pier. When the water traffic is closed, the ends of span of this bridge stand on the abutments.
When the water traffic should be uncovered, the ends span should have been free and are only supported with the pivotal pier. So, the end of swing span is lifted with machineries. The swing bridge shifts horizontally around vertical axis unlike other bridges which shift vertical direction.
In order to bear the traffic and resist overstressing, the swing bridge should provide support to both horizontally and vertically. The truss or plate girder creates the span of swing bridge. But the application of plate girder is more cost-effective.
Besides, there are following types of special movable bridges. But they are seldom built up.
Pontoon retractile, Pontoon bridge, Shear pole swing, Folding bridge, Curling bridge, Removable spans bridge, Submersible bridge, Tilt bridge, Transporter bridge, Jet bridge etc.
- Application of concrete calculator
- Roofing Calculator can streamline the roof estimating process
- House construction cost calculator
- Engineering column design excel spreadsheet
- Material Estimating Sheet with Excel
- Materials List and Cost Estimate Worksheet
- Concrete Slab Estimating Calculator Sheet
- Common types of foundations for buildings
- Online calculation of construction materials
- Estimating with Excel for the Small Contractor
- Concrete Beam Design Spreadsheet
- Virtual Construction Management app for construction
- Autodesk’s Project Skyscraper
- Reed Construction’s Reed Insight
- Manage your construction project documentation
- Costimator, the popular cost estimating software
- On Center Software for construction professionals
- Free Construction Estimating Software
- Plumbing Calc Pro
- Cost Estimate Worksheet
- HVAC Piping Quantity Takeoff Worksheet
- Construction Estimating Software Sheet
- Estimate Cost Templates
- Construction Punch List
- Construction cost estimating template consisting estimating basic
- Gantt Chart Template for Excel
- Download Civil Engineering Spreadsheets with Verification
- The Building Advisor Estimating and Budgeting Worksheet
- Spreadsheet for design of concrete bridge
- Construction Estimating Software Free